Saturday, November 24, 2007

Momentous Momentum

Aidan's growth and development are really picking up speed. Just today, he explained to me Einstein's Theory of Relativity as it relates to the hypothetical hyper-speed of science fiction lore.

Kidding. But he has done three very significant things in the past 24 hours. Well, they're small steps compared to Einstein, but significant to this dadger (dad + blogger). And maybe neatest of all, Marissa said he'd do all three at about the same time. I don't know if that was prophetic utterance, mother's intuition, or just a thorough reading of baby development books. The point is, she was right.

I'll count them off in an order to build the most excitement:

Aidan has decided life with only three teeth just won't cut it. He's preparing to become the carnivore I know all my children will be. His fourth (and final) central incisor (see chart here) is just below the surface of his gum. It'll probably poke through tonight. What does this mean for Aidan? Meat is only a few months away! What does it mean for his parents? The discovery of a new baby sound: the spine-shivering crunch of tooth on tooth. It hasn't been easy listening to my son crunch ice cubes with his teeth, but he sure enjoys exploring his mouth...and biting anything he can get his hands on.

He's also made a decision to be just a bit more independent. He no longer requires assistance to get into or out of a sitting position. I missed this first moment but Marissa tells me (and I'm sure she can tell you) that it was quite the C-word. I look forward to seeing it for myself.

Most exciting to me is the sudden need to think of a new nickname. Scooter just won't work anymore. I'd like to be a bit more creative than Crawler so any suggestions would be welcome. That's right! (And I was around to witness this one!) Aidan is crawling! On hands and knees! Sure he can only go a max of three steps before he gets impatient and resorts to the old belly-crawl, but he's on his way. It won't be long before we're painting a number on his back and setting up an obstacle course in the backyard. I'm super-excited!

Well, I hear the tell-tale sound of tickle-induced baby laughter. Gotta go join the fun! I hope everyone had a stuffed-with-blessings and blessed-with-stuffing Thanksgiving. 'Til next time!

No comments: