Thursday, August 16, 2007

Help Me Fight World Hunger

For those of you who don't know, there is a veritable sea of people in the world who don't have enough food, water, medicine, and basic supplies to make it more than a few days at a time. These people walk miles each day for water and food that either isn't very clean or won't last very long at all. I heard a staggering statistic tonight: the water I use each time I flush a toilet could be used by a family in a developing country all day long. It's shocking!

Well, I'm doing something about it. Along with my church and other people in San Marcos and all over the U.S., I'm doing a CROP walk to raise money for Church World Services. I've done these before but this is the first year I have an online community of potential donors (and the means to accept online donations) to ask for assistance.

I've set a high goal for myself. The Hays County walk this year is on October 7 and between now and then, I'm fully convinced that I can raise $1000 in donations from various sources. My blog readers should consider themselves blessed—you're the first group I've asked. So if you're interested in helping me fight world hunger, click here or on the sidebar to make a secure online donation. If you're not interested yet, just go a day eating only rice and beans or using only 4 gallons of potable water (including drinking, laundry, dishes, and that porcelain throne that all Americans have) and then visit my blog again. Trust me the link will still be active.

And in case helping to feed the world a little bit more tomorrow than yesterday isn't incentive enough, I have a little personal challenge that might get you excited. If I meet my goal before October 7, I will do the walk wearing fins, mask, and snorkel and document the entire thing to share with you here. As silly as it could look, there may even be a video.

So what do you say? Could you share a little of the wealth you've been blessed with just by being born in America? Please consider it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Count me in -- online donation on its way.

-- survivor of the 2005 jeep ride to Houston.