Saturday, May 23, 2009

Nine And Twenty Years Ago

Thursday was a birthday to remember.

I woke early to go to work where my supervisor had brought a homemade pineapple upside-down cake. I figure cake can be breakfast because it has eggs, wheat flour, and in this case, fruit, but most of my coworkers turned it down since it was so early (the sun hadn't even gotten up yet). After my very early shift, I came home, Marissa gave me my annual haircut, and I took a much needed nap.

I had a second interview with the 8th grade math team and principal of Lockhart Junior High. What was neat about this meeting was that the only teacher I hadn't met yet, I'd already met. She used to drive buses for Texas State University. So I was in good company. I should know something about the job in about ten days.

My day concluded with small party featuring my wife and two sons, a home cooked meal, and a first attempt at homemade Boston cream pie. All was wonderful but my favorite part (yes, even more so than the pie) was when Aidan gave his rendition of the "Happy Birthday" song. It touched my heart that he would even try, but I actually understood it too. "Happy birthday you, happy birthday you, happy birthday Daddy, happy birthday you!"

It was a great birthday; I can't wait to do my 29th again next year.

No comments: