Saturday, January 17, 2009

Two Future Famous Authors And Their Musician Counterparts

Sean Rackley and R.W. Ley got together for breakfast at IHOP this morning. Marissa and Robi's dad, Cecil, were there as well. Robi has two published books and many more in the works. I met her at the Anomaly, a discussion board for authors and readers of Christian speculative fiction. She was visiting her parents in Dripping Springs so we arranged a meeting.

Over pancakes we discussed kids and family, "in real life" jobs, and the celebrities we've all run into. Cecil hit it off with Aidan by drumming with him on the table. We talked ideas and troubles in our writing. Marissa surprised me by joining the conversation on fantasy literature; she and Robi found common ground as mothers of boys. I think we were there for an hour and a half. It was great fun!

Robi was not at all what I expected. The picture of her on her blog led me to expect (and even dream of last night) a big shot celebrity author who had no time for little upstarts like myself. In reality, she's a really friendly, fast-talking Dallas Cowboys fan who wears her hair in a pony tail and loves God, family, and football. Quite a difference from my expectations. I'm blessed to have met her.

No comments: