Saturday, October 20, 2007

Move Over Foster...

...there's a new Banana in town! It was the culmination of an evening of culinary experimentation. I'll start at the beginning.

Marissa has been such a trooper lately, doing 100% of the cooking when we eat at home. It's not that I don't like to cook (because I do), but because my work schedule has me gone during most of our meals. I thought I'd give her a day off and cook or prepare all three meals today. I started with brisket and cheddar omelettes for breakfast. We went simple for lunch with chips and sandwiches. But, oh! The dinner! Wowie!

I started with two boneless, skinless chicken thighs laid flat on a plate. After adding a bay leaf, dried basil, and a slice of apple, I rolled each one up and secured it with toothpicks. Seared over a charcoal fire and then smoked until done. The result was worthy of repeating and having a name all its own: Apple Bay Chicken. Get it? Apple slice, bay leaf, and chicken? Cool, huh? I assure you, it tastes great! Just ask Marissa.

I was not going to leave us wanting dessert and depending on mere ice cream to satisfy our sweet teeth. Plus, I had a very hot fire on the grill just begging to cook more food (it usually gets a taste of my creations!). I grabbed some foil, butter, cinnamon, sugar, and a banana. After 15-20 minutes right over the fire, the banana had softened and absorbed all the butter and cinnamon while the sugar had caramelized. Oh my gosh! What a treat! I exclaimed I'd never go back to chocolate again. Marissa said I wouldn't last a day.

Anyway, it was a great meal that shall be repeated. Sooner than later if I have anything to say about it.

1 comment:

Gerald said...

Sounds like a meal Beth and I ought to try!