Sunday, April 1, 2007

Triple Play Holiday

Happy Palm Sunday, April Fool's Day, and First Day of Baseball!! Here's what I did to celebrate each:

Went to church in new threads--Casual Male is having a sale on suits and pseudosuits, ran the sound board for Praise and Worship, served Communion, and learned about the triumphal entry of Jesus into Jerusalem. Dr. Linda brought out stuff about this day in history that I hadn't heard before. The trip from Bethany past Bethphage to Jerusalem was not just the most convenient way for the Lord to get to his destination, but is significant to the Believer today as well. Bethany is where Lazarus was raised from the dead, where he and his sisters dwelt, and carries the meaning of "House of Dates" (the Hebrews waved date palms as they cried "Hosanna!") and "Misery." Bethphage means "House of Figs" and is the site of Jesus' cursing the fruitless fig tree and teaching the disciples about faith. Jerusalem is home to the temple, the crucifixion, the resurrection, and Pentecost. The lesson is that we too must journey from misery to victory by the road of faith, for we walk by faith not by sight (II Corinthians 5:7).

April Fool's Day was forgotten by Yours Truly until he was gotten by the Gmail guys. They released a new feature: paper archiving. I fell for it bad. Was all excited about getting free prints of my photos on glossy paper and even told Marissa about how we could email all of our pictures to ourselves and then get prints for free. I found out the truth of the situation when I, like many other fools today, couldn't locate the new button and went to the Help menu for help. Well done, Gmail! You fooled this old clown! Now if I could just find my digital rubber chicken...

And as for the kickoff to baseball season, I went shopping for baby gear with my wife. You may think I'm from planet X'yir but I can't stand the game. That may be a result of me never getting on base in little league. But I digress...this entry is about holidays, not repressed sports anxieties.

Whatever your reason for celebrating today, be blessed and know that God loves you! Now there's real reason to celebrate April 1st--or any day!