Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Christmas Blessings

OneMillionMoms.com sent this out to their subscribers. It echoes the way I feel about this season and is worth sharing. Director Monica Cole writes:
"The people who walk in darkness have seen a great light...For a child is born to us, a son is given to us. And the government will be on His shoulders. These will be his royal titles: Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, and the Prince of Peace." Isaiah 9:2 & 6

Let us all take time out this Christmas season to praise and worship our mighty King. OMM encourages you to focus on the true meaning of Christmas. During all the "festivities" do not forget to thank and praise God for His goodness and mercy and most of all for the birth of his son, Jesus Christ. God promised a Savior and like always he fulfilled his promise.

Last year I talked with my son who was three years old at the time about the birth of Jesus, viewing a nativity scene and a birthday party for Jesus; still all he could think about was gifts and Santa. At three, he understood gifts, presents and toys. I told myself he is young, I planted the seeds along with church and preschool teachings, and it seemed that everywhere we turned someone would ask, "What did you ask Santa for?" I did everything I could to make sure he would understand. Or did I?

This year I was determined to do things differently. I have emphasized Jesus' birth at our home over the past several weeks, mentioning Christmas is Jesus' birthday in conversation. I can say I have done better this year in keeping our focus on Jesus. I pray you will do the same.

Just yesterday I knew my dedication had paid off! I was finishing brushing my son's teeth, and he asked how many days left until Christmas? We had been counting down the last few days so I told him five days. He squinted his big eyes, smiled a huge smile, and clinched his fists up in the air and said with much excitement, "Five days until Jesus' birthday!" Praise the Lord! This year he got it! My heart was full of joy; and I know our Heavenly Father's heart was too!

Families should be together and enjoy giving to one another, but this year do not let Christmas come and go and not really recognize Jesus. It doesn't make sense to have a birthday celebration for someone and not invite the guest of honor. Those who practice making this special day all about Him then can tell others about the gift of salvation. I love explaining that all Jesus wants for Christmas/His birthday is YOU!!!

God Bless you and your family this Christmas!
Merry Christmas to all!

No comments: