Wednesday, November 5, 2008

I've Bit My Tongue Long Enough

I absolutely loathe campaign signs. It's bad enough that political ads have taken over my TV and my internet during election season. Must they also pollute the landscaping in beautiful San Marcos and Martindale? These things should be outlawed. They're an eyesore. And frankly, I'm tired of looking at them.

It's not just this election season. They're like biennials that pop up and bloom every two years. Can we spray some Round-Up please?

Don't get me wrong. I love our country. I love the election system, flawed as it may be. I get into the whole campaigning and primaries thing. Heck, I vote. I even love our nation's colors. I'm just sick of the signs with them framing a candidate's name.

There was one candidate for mayor in San Marcos who used whatever he could find laying around for his signs: old bed sheets, cardboard boxes, shoe polish on windshields, and probably a dirty sock or two. He was at least original and creative. But it was still garbage—legalized litter. What happened to "Don't Mess With Texas"? When did litter become alright just because you have a campaign permit?

Candidates, enough is enough. Please please please be responsible citizens and take down your signs as soon as possible. I look forward to seeing green next to roadways and sidewalks again. And I'm not asking you to do something that I wouldn't do myself; you'll note that I removed the sign from my sidebar.

No comments: