Friday, July 4, 2008

The Bombs Bursting In Air

Happy Independence Day!

We started our ID4 with a new tradition. I don't know why I've never done this because it's a great idea. I learned about it from a coworker who has done it since he was a child. We read aloud the Declaration of Independence. It really set the mood for us to celebrate all day. I'm sorry to admit that I've never read the Declaration in its entirety. I now have a fuller appreciation for the freedom we have in this great country. If you've not read the Declaration in a while, I encourage you to do so. I found it here.

After breakfast, lunch, and a two hour nap, we rounded out the day with a wonderful meal cooked by the Food Network's next great cooking-show duo: Mom and Dad. Okay okay, so they're not really going to be on the Food Network (that I know of), but the meal was that good! Two kinds of outdoor chicken, including barbecued chicken and beer-canned chicken, corn on the cob, and a sweet potato salad followed by red, white, and blue cupcakes. I had been wanting barbecued chicken all week, so I found it especially delightful.

We spent some time in a wading pool in the front yard. Aidan showed off his splashing abilities and got the rest of us wet. Then we went to the home of one of my mom's new friends to watch fireworks. They had more good food in the form of snacky finger foods. We fellowshipped until it was dark then moved out to the war zone—I mean front porch. It seemed we were on the best street in the neighborhood; people were putting on their own pyrotechnics shows all around us. One guy next door lit a ten-foot string of black cats and then danced in a circle until his fingers got singed. Crazy! But really cool to watch. I had my phone ready to dial 9-1-1 just in case.

Aidan's reaction to his first experience with fireworks was what I expected: he was frightened by the noise but loved to watch the lights. Fortunately, when the big show put on by the neighborhood started, we were able to watch from inside, behind the semi-sound-proof protection of a picture window. He was absolutely enthralled. I have a feeling his thirteenth birthday party will be a lot of fun!

All said and done, it was a great reason to celebrate and a great celebration...all day long.

No comments: